Monday 14 January 2013

NOTW: Funky frog tape mani

Hello guys and girls! I have to say, I'm amazed by the number of followers I picked up lately! Welcome and thank you :-) I hope you enjoy my meagre bloggy offerings :-)

As some of you may know, I'm recovering from what has been a really painful break up, and like everyone who goes through this, I have good days and bad days. This week I had quite a few bad days... and I therefore resorted to some retail therapy to boost my spirits. Fortunately, I'm easily pleased(!) and so when I walked into Superdrug I immediately knew what I was looking for: GOSH Galaxy. Let's have a look at a swatch (this is two coats without a top coat):

GOSH Galaxy swatch limited edition
Glossy ^^

My photo truly doesn't do this polish justice, and I'm really sorry I couldn't get anything good enough. Blame the awful weather we're having, blame my phone camera, blame my less-than-perfect swatch pose, but I just couldn't capture the amazingness! Take a look at these pictures instead (brace yourselves!): http://nail-loopy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/gosh-galaxy.html and http://www.britnails.co.uk/2012/08/gosh-galaxy-swatches-and-review.html

I'll just let you take those in... YES, that's right! This is a MULTICHROME!!! Perhaps I played up those pics too much (it's hard to photograph), but it is most certainly there! This polish has a brown/brass/black base and is filled with tiny particles that shift through gold, brass, black, green, blue (the force is strong with this one) and pink. I've seen all of these colours on my nails albeit for a fraction of a second. The polish is quite sheer and there's still a slight VNL here, but I'd say two coats is enough. Three would definitely be plenty. If you like the look of this polish, I would urge you to go hunting NOW - it is limited edition and was released in the Winter collection, so I was lucky to still find it!

As I haven't shown you anything interesting for some time, I decided to try some tape art on top (sorry for the photo quality - GOSH Galaxy is so sparkly with a topcoat that it didn't photograph very well):

funky frog tape mani
Pretty *.* So proud of my ring finger!
funky frog tape mani
Check out the perfection that is my thumb!
Also: turn your head and there are frogs' eyes on my nails!



























As you can see, this was almost a very successful attempt! I recently got some craft scissors from Hobbycraft (Michaels in the US?) which are based on animals. I have crocodile zigzags, snakey waves and froggy eyes. For this art I used the last one. The scissors don't cut perfectly, so if you look close enough you'll see each curve is different, but overall I'm very pleased. The best fingers are my ring finger, thumb and pinkie - I rushed on the others and so didn't get the tape dead centre. To do the dots, I used an old orange wood cuticle stick that I use for clean up :-) The black I used was Collection 2000 Ebony #87.

What do you think? I almost didn't add the black dots but I think they really pull the art together :-)

EDIT: Omigosh! You won't believe this. Look at this blog post here from Tina. This is my blog twin! We independently came up with stripe manis this week that look almost identical - I did a double take when she posted her mani in the FB group Crumpet's Nail Tarts! I think the creepiest part is that I did the mani on a whim - I had no idea that the group were doing tape manis that day. Tina and I started blogging around the same time and we'll now be watching each other to see if we manage this weird nail telepathy again anytime soon! :-P

Now I have the tools for it I've decided to try experimenting more with tape, because it's something I can do in relatively little time. I also have a few stamped designs in my head that I'd like to try make happen! We'll see how that goes :-P

'Til next time, curlettes (wonder if that will stick...) :-D

- Skye x

18 comments:

  1. Skye, I think you did a much better job than me! And your hands/nails are gorgeous! I'll link you later today in my post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, you flatter me! I liked yours much better! Mine has a lot of things wrong with it if you look too closely ;) The scissors sucked big time hehe. And thank you! It's taken me a long time to reach this point but I'm starting to feel really proud of them :) I still can't believe we managed to do the same thing hehe :)

      Delete
  2. Love how the nail art came out! Really pretty! I got a bunch of craft scissors from Michaels a year ago and I'm so sad that I can't find them anymore! I really want to use them for nail art...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandipa :) You should definitely hunt down those scissors because there are LOTS of cool things you can do with them in nail art! I'm sure they are there somewhere ;)

      Delete
  3. Looks successful to me! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard we're getting GOSH ion the US and I hope that's true!!! Galaxy looks awesome. I love your art, too, and how and where you found stuff to accomplish it ♥ You artsy gals are so amazing! And your fingers are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Liesl - you're so sweet! Galaxy is pretty special but you need sunshine to see the best in it, I think. I don't think I'm especially arty but I'm glad I can fake it sometimes :) I normally have cool ideas but they don't quite come out right lol. And I really am flattered with your comments about my hands and fingers :) You're always so complimentary haha. I have short wonky fingers really :P

      Delete
  5. Aww, thankyou so much for linking to my post : ) It looks gorgeous on you too and I love the tape bit : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! You're very welcome :) Thank you for your incredible swatches! I would have let you know directly, but I don't know who you are! How did you find the post? Through one of the FB groups? :)

      Delete
    2. Thankyou, I'm flattered :) I found this post in my traffic sources stats : )

      Delete
    3. Ohhhhhh that makes sense!! For a minute I thought you had some kind of Blogger spidey sense hehe :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I had that Gosh on my hands the other day, didn't buy it, but now I kind of regret that decision. It looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehehehe better go back and get it then ;) I'm glad you like my swatch - it's not nearly as good as the ones from Nail Loopy but I mean, I took about a million photos before I decided I wasn't gonna capture the multichrome :/

      Delete
  7. Go ahead girl! Wish my first attempt was that good (never published and never will be! lol). I didn't know Galaxy... O_o It's not my color but I can understand WHY you love it! lol. I want to see mooore ;) Kisses**

    Cristina

    P.S: Your nails are gorgeous and look at the thumb, huge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Cristina you're sweet :) I'm really into these colours right now. I wouldn't have picked it up if it hadn't been for the multichrome in it. None of the photos really do it justice, though Nail Loopy came real close to bringing out all the colours! I love watching my nails flash pink, green and blue and then look all peaceful and golden-brown again :) More of the colour or more taping? Cos more taping is coming up! :D

      Also: LOL :D my thumbs have such long nail beds I can't cut them down as much as the other nails, they always look brutish hehe :)

      Delete
  8. How in the heck do you do it? So cool:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you're so sweet, Essie! ^^ It took so little time - I was amazed! Just funky scissors and scotch tape :) I did another tape mani today and it was MUCH harder to do... but much prettier :) You should try it - it's super easy to do manis with scotch tape!

      Delete

Like my post? Have a question? Got a tip for me? Leave me a comment below! :-)